2. Alleles are forms of a gene which determine the phenotype, or the observable traits, of an organism. Natural selection, on the other hand, is a form of evolution where the organisms with the better phenotype are favored and allowed to survive. Thus, allele controls the phenotype while natural selection works directly on it.
3. Speciation is the process of evolution in which a new species is formed. To obtain this, populations within a species should be reproductively isolated. That is, they should be restricted from mating with each other so that the species is forced to accumulate the genetic differences within different populations and overtime form into a completely different species.
4. As explained earlier, evolution through natural selection favors the organisms who are well adapted to the environment. Thus, it only makes sense to conclude that adaptation increases the fitness of the individual because it allows them to survive longer.
5. A cladogram is a form of diagram which illustrates the relationship of different species. The node in the cladogram is found on the main branch and each one represents a point where two groups shared a common ancestor. While it is true that nodes also represent a new clade, the terminal node or the tip of the cladogram do not form a new one.
6. Charles Darwin is best known for developing the theory of evolution. In this theory, Darwin observed the statements given among the choices EXCEPT for the one in choice D. Darwin only observed physical traits or characteristics and did not delve into the genetic code of organisms.
7. Through the literal meaning of the phrase itself, “common descent” tells us that all organisms descended from one common ancestor. That is, we all shared a common ancestor some time in our evolutionary history. Among the choices, choice A accurately describes this.
8. As the environment where white and brown mice live starts to get more snow, white mice will adapt better to the new environment since their white fur would allow them to camouflage better. Natural selection will act on the population and brown mice will soon decrease in population as the allele for white fur increases.
9. Since most of the cheetahs went extinct during a single generation, they experienced what we call the bottleneck effect. The effect is called as such since the number of species figuratively passed through a bottleneck. For instance, billions of cheetah passing through a barrier (change in climate) only allowed thousands of them to get through.
10. Macroevolution is a term for the event where evolution happens at a bigger scale. Key patterns for this event would be adaptive radiation or when organisms start filling different ecological niches and convergent evolution or the development of similar traits among different organisms as a response to the same environment or niche.
ANSWER: adaptive radiation and convergent evolution
If I am correct it would be D but I am not 100% sure
1. B. bones
2. B. Ferns grow in every environment.
3. A. Adaptation to different food sources
4. A. Natural selection.
5. D. Too many plants in a small area competed for nutrients.
6. D. The mice could not hide from predators.
7. C. The genes of some kinds of bacteria make them resistant to antibiotics.
8. B. Being able to run very fast.
9. D. Lack of rain interrupted the life cycle of the toads.
10. B. The cricket produces few offspring with no new traits and changes its diet.
11. About 13 major island exist in the Galapagos island and all have diverse and unique species and made his theory on there behavior and adaptation patterns.
1. D) 2. if an organism is having a hard time getting what it needs to survive, it will either become stronger to get it, or no longer need it) 3. it is a way animals conserve energy to survive adverse weather conditions or lack of food) 4. The "fittest" will need to evolve in order to stay on top) 5. the significance was that the same type of bird had evolved to survive in different places which supports the theory of evolution) 6. C) 7. The similarities between different types of an organism) 8. If they don't adapt to their ever changing environment, they will die.) 9. D) 10. migration, hibernation, dormancy, camouflage, and estivation
Hopefully some of these will help!!!
1natrual selection 2all the above 3the duck4survival of fittest5how many children they have6random mutation 7good or bad8a adaptive 9piano playing acquired 10songs are acquired warning calls are inherited
Answer is in a photo. I can only upload it to a file hosting service. link below!