According to the aristotelian approach to ethics, political and other social institutions are supposed to be organized so that they contribute to the moral development of human beings. what are the implications of this view for economic institutions (e. g., firms)? what are the implications for government regulation of market activities? do you think these implications make the aristotelian approach to ethics more or less plausible?
1. The proposal for the construction of the Three Gorges Dam was first proposed in 1919. The person who issued the proposal was Sun Yat Sen who was a forerunner of the democratic reform in China. Sun Yat Sen proposed the building of the dam because of the enormous potential that the Yangtze River has. In his view, the dam would have improved the production of energy by far, as well as making it much easier for navigation in the river.
2. The Chinese historians and archaeologists were not happy at all with the proposal for constructing the dam, and even less when the construction actually started. The main reason was that the valley of the Yangtze River is one of the places where the Chinese civilization originated and initially started developing, so the valley had lot to offer for the history and archaeology. The building of the dam meant that thousands of archaeological sites would be under water and very possibly destroyed.
3. As the construction of the dam was about to take on, millions of had to relocate as lot of towns and villages were going to be submerged. The local government officials though weren't very helpful. Instead of helping the people, paying them for the loss of their homes and land, and providing them with shelters, the people were mostly left on their own. This resulted in lot of people to end up living in miserable conditions, homeless, and lot of people unfortunately died because of the terrible living conditions.
4. The building of the Three Gorges Dam was supposed to be done in the best way possible. It was a huge project where everything had to be perfect, both because of the economic benefit and because of the safety for the people living near it. The politicians though didn't really cared about of those two aspects, the safety, and being very corrupted, they neglected the safety issues in order to capitalize and ''fill their pockets''. This resulted in big problems pretty much every year, as millions of people are terribly affected by the Yangtze River when its levels rise, and lot of people end up dead every year.
5. China was not in a very nice place economically, and of the reason for that was that the country was not able to produce its own energy on a large scale. The Three Gorges Dam was seen as a project that can turn things around. It was a big investment, but it was going to produce lot of energy, very cheaply, and can be used for a very long period of time. The initial estimates have been that the dam will be able to increase China's energy production by 10%.
6. The Three Gorges Dam is the dam that produced the most hydroelectric power in the world. It produces 22,500 megawatts. The Hoover Dam for comparison is ranked on the eleventh place for production of hydroelectric power, producing 2,080 megawatts. Despite the initial projections that the Three Gorges Dam will be producing around 10% of the power in China, the fact is that the dam accounts for 14% of the hydro-power in the country, while the whole hydro-power accounts for 17% of the total energy production of China, thus the production is way bellow that the first projections.
7. The Three Gorges Dam has been of great benefit for China's economy, mainly because of the energy production and trade. The dam though also came with some negativity, especially for the environment. The movement of the aquatic animals has been stopped and limited. The flow of the nutrients has also been stopped, resulting in higher concentration before the dam, and much lower after the dam. Lot of species became endangered or extinct. Also, the upper part of the river has become much more vulnerable to floods and landslides, which has caused enormous problems for the local population.
8. The construction of the dam has had multiple negative implications. The biggest worry though seems to be the flood prowess to the upper part of the Yangtze River. The safety measures have not been taken into account, or rather have not been implemented because of corruption among the politicians. This has resulted in the upper flow of the river to be in danger of flooding every time when there is a rise in the waters of the rivers, be it because of intense rainfall of melting of snow, with millions of people being affected badly by it each year.
9. The local communities are in a situation where they both have lot of benefit from the dam and also be heavily affected by the things left out during the construction of it. The local population benefits from the energy production, more jobs available, fertile soil, trade roots, fishing etc. But the local communities also suffer from the dam, as there are lot landslides occurring, and each year there are devastating floods, often having their homes and farmlands destroyed.
Its simple when u break down the question.
Hope this helps!!!
This statement is correct because the concept of integrating body and mind in physical activity was responsible for the expansion of physical activity, in addition to activities that promote only the well-being of the body aesthetically, but as a set of activities responsible for improvement of health, intelligence, emotional, creativity, as well as an instrument of social integration. The practice of physical activity releases endorphins in the brain, which is a natural substance produced by the brain that is associated with well-being, mood and joy, and this effect occurs during and after physical activity.
relationship implication is based on compatibility and understanding between two person developed over the period of time. Here Bill told Jessie shut up laughingly other person might have got offended while jessie took it healthily she has developed understanding with Bill and understand what he actually means. relationship implications enables one to read between the lines or understand the untold.
Suppose in studying Climate Change we discover that in one country, deserts are going to be created where formerly there was grasslands and an abundance of water and in another place the coastlines are going to be altered. If you are an American, how do you think a politician is going to respond to such a problem.
Will his/her response be well thought out based on scientific preparedness, or will he (or she) grab onto the first solution suggestion to him/her and try and implement that?
Whatever he/she does, it will cost and everyone will be affected. A starting place is to find out what presidents in the past have done. During the Bush administration (the second Bush), there was an oil crisis. He responded by allocating more acreage to the growing of corn so supplementing oil production. Replaceable resources for non renewable ones. Sounded like a very good solution, but was it? As it turned out, no. He was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Thousands of people suffered (and died) with that decision because food is much more important than solving transportation problems at the expense of food.
The same is true here. If a solution is sought for global warming, politicians have to be well aware of what they are doing. And that has to be studied very carefully.
What are you trying to do?
typically a loft will include modern kitchen and bathrooms, this increases the price tag. lofts also have a good amount of open space, this requires more heating and electricity. lofts are also in older buildings, this means that maintaining the location increases the bill. keep in mind this is without talking about the high state and property taxes.
i hope this you! : )
answer; comparing the additional benefits and costs;